Exciting New Social Action Trip Being Planned - We are considering working with Remote Area Medical (RAM), which is a major nonprofit provider of mobile medical clinics. https://www.ramusa.org/ RAM's mission is to prevent pain and alleviate suffering by providing free, quality healthcare to those in need. We do this by delivering free dental, vision, and medical services to underserved and uninsured individuals.
See also, https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/life-in-the-sickest-town-in-america/384718// :
We are still exploring this but here are just a few reasons this is exciting:
- You don't have to be a medical professional to work with them. We may have a few medical people who want to do this but there are many things we can do. As I research further, I will let you know.
- We can drive to it - Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia - we can caravan or rent vans. We do not have to fly anywhere.
- We can start small, with just a few volunteers going and hope to build momentum within our community for this project.
- We will interact with people not just a building or stuff
- We can do a volunteer stint in the late fall as a try-out and perhaps another in the spring - for example, there is a clinic in Gray, TN from 11/2-11/4.
- We can do food or supply drives beforehand and bring things with us
- If any of our b'nai mitzvah children want to participate, we believe there are opportunities
- We can work with other Bergen communities and bring a relatively large contingent to help